Today I start a 30-Day Blog Writing Challenge. This self-imposed daily routine is designed to get me back into the habit of writing on a consistent basis.
One thing that trips up a lot of writers is coming up with enough ideas to stay engaged in the process every day.
To help you (and me) keep a steady flow of inspiration coming, here are 14 writing prompts you can consider when looking for fresh ideas:
- Take something you’ve written before (a blog post, article, book chapter, poem) and update it.
- Describe a challenge you faced and how you overcame it.
- Ponder a favorite quote and let it inspire a short post.
- Think of someone you admire and write about one of their values or qualities.
- Pick up a favorite book or magazine, flip through it, and see what headlines or chapter titles resonate with you in that moment.
- Look over the magazine rack at a library or bookstore, then put a unique twist on a headline that catches your eye.
- Do a Google search for the topic of your choice. Visit the first three results and see what ideas get sparked.
- Visit the Wikipedia page of someone well-known who you admire. Find a little-known detail about the person and write about it.
- Address a common mistake people make in your field.
- Cover the first thing beginners need to know about your area of expertise.
- Express your opinion about something that’s in the news.
- Look over the most currently popular videos on YouTube, and write a commentary on one of them.
- Think about your most memorable moment of the last 24 hours. Write about an insight that moment inspired.
- Flip through a magazine or book, close your eyes, and stop on a random page. Read what’s on that page and challenge yourself to write about it.
What other writing prompts would you add to this list?
Please leave a comment, give it a clap or three, and share this with someone who would benefit from reading it.
This is Day 1 of a 30-Day Blog Writing Challenge. #30DayBobBlog
Bob Baker helps musicians, authors, artists, and creative entrepreneurs use their talents and know-how to make a living and make a difference in the world!